Friday, February 20, 2015

Adventure time in Honduras

             
                  With the time I've spent in Danli, Honduras, my world views and understandings have changed significantly. I've experienced more than I would have ever imagined. It goes without saying that within the first few minutes of stepping within the country, the culture shock I experienced was more than I could imagine. School buses with 22' chrome rims and colorful neon lights swerving through the streets was just the beginning. The smells I inhaled re-enforced the realization that I was no longer in America. Wild chickens and dogs roamed every street corner with Honduran Natives on mopeds crazily dodging them and every person who was outside. I love what I have lived so far here. The weather topped it off as we transitioned from a what felt like a blistering negative 20 degrees in New England, to sunny skies and palm trees in Central America where it was rare to drop below 80. It came to my surprise how much my Spanish classes at Castleton helped me with the existence of an extreme language barrier. The technology I was so used to within the states became little used to me as the my cellphone had little use.

                I've made friends with so many people here that I find it hard to believe I will be back in Vermont within the next few days. My good friend here works at the drug and alcohol rehabilitation center we helped paint, his name is Charlie. Charlie helps teach the local addicts and alcoholics psychology. The people who stay there were scary at first, but we came to find out that they were actually very nice. What was scary though were the streets of downtown. Walking with a group of white Americans, we stuck out like a sore thumb where every Honduran turned their head for a second look. I think what I liked most about the natives were the women. The women are so beautiful it made it hard for me to not try and get all the numbers I could, haha. Within these last couple of days we will be helping out the poverty stricken town and schools by giving them the Vermont donations we received. I look forward to the upcoming days and what adventures they hold. What I don't look forward to is the 100 degree climate change we will experience with out return to the states. Overall, I think its fair to say I love Honduras.



Our work site 


My friend Charlie 



Visiting San Marcos Abajo 


Elise and I after painting the rehab center 


My Honduran girlfriend 

- Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment